International Thespian Honor Society invitations have gone out to eligible students over the past two days. Your RSVP slip and your $30 Induction Fee are due on Monday, May 7th and checks should be made out to the Wakeland Theatre Booster Club. PLEASE NO CASH!!!!
If your check and RSVP card are not received by the end of the day on Monday, May 7th your membership will not be submitted this year. If you have any questions please find Mrs. Leffel.
A huge congratulations are in order for Senior Nick Blanton! For the second year in a row his set designs for the UIL Theatrical Design Contest advanced to the state level, and this year he is coming home with a 4th Place medal in Division II Set Design. Theatrical Design Contest Chair Rachel Gomez let us know that there were approximately 95 initial entries in the Division II Set Design at the initial round, which were narrowed down to 17 entries for the state level of the contest.
This year’s Theatrical Design prompt tasked the student designers with creating sets, costumes, makeup & hair, or marketing designs that would work for a repertory production of both A Raisin in the Sun and Clybourne Park. Nick’s designs featured a fragmented set, and highlighted both the socio-economic and racial struggles of both productions.
Next year Nick will be pursuing a degree in set design at University of Oklahoma’s Helmerich School of Drama. The prestigious program accepts only 12 incoming freshman in technical theatre each year. We wish him the best and can’t wait to see where his designs take him in the future!
It’s time to enter your points for this school year! Whether you are an active member, a joining member or a future potential member you need to enter this year’s points. You will not be able to enter past points in future years.
This year we have a new points tracking sheet that calculates your total so that I don’t have to (math and I aren’t friends). If you are a current Junior or Senior with a pre-existing points sheet you will continue to use your original points sheet, which should be in your Google Drive account. If you are a current Sophomore or Freshman, or a Junior or Senior without a current points sheet you will use the new form. I have created an example for you that can be viewed here: Student_Example_2018
Instructions for Filling Out your ITS Form:
- Go to this link and MAKE A COPY of the form. Save your new copy as your first name_last initial_grad year. Example: Casey_S_2019
- If you already have a form, as stated above, follow the below steps to update your current form. Do NOT delete the verified line that was entered by Mrs. Leffel or Mrs. Howe for previous years.
- Fill in the top section with your name, address, email, etc. Leave Induction Year and the fields below that empty.
- Using the 2017-2018 WHS Points for Performance Activities and the Thespian Induction Points System enter your theatre activities and points to your best estimate.
- Those with a prior sheet you may put the top line as “Points from original sheet” and then enter the total number of points from last year in the “Points Received” section
- If you are unsure on the number of points you received for a specific action please see Mrs. Leffel or Mrs. Dalfonzo.
- See Notes below regarding points for some activities
- If you are struggling to understand the form itself please refer to this YouTube video tutorial.
- Share your completed form with both Mrs. Leffel AND Mrs. Dalfonzo at LeffelL@friscoisd.org and DalfonzJ@friscoisd.org
- All points will be verified by the directors. Some points values may change based on director discretion.
A Couple of Notes:
- If are currently inducted into ITS you can earn points for productions you have seen outside of school. Beginning this year you may earn a maximum of .25 points per full-length production. Remember that one point is the equivalent of 10 hours so you are getting 1 point for every four productions you see, assuming an average production length of 2.5 hours per show. Beginning next year a program will be required for all audience shows submitted.
- This sheet lists accurate points for WHS Theatre Performances this school year. Please use these points amounts. 2017-2018 WHS Points for Performance Activities
- If you are submitting points for work done outside of Wakeland Theatre, such as performing in a production for an outside company, you need to provide documentation of your involvement in the show. A performance program will be sufficient.
- You get .5 points for each Saturday or Friday night (non-regular rehearsal time) shop call you attended for the entire time. Otherwise you get one point per 10 hours you were at shop calls total. If you do not sign in at shop calls then you do not get points.
- You do NOT get points for rehearsals
- You do NOT get points for any class performances – public performances for an actual audience only.
All Thespian Points must be entered by Monday, April 16th. No changes or additions will be permitted after that time unless an event arises that you are asked to participate in such as Academic Awards, Wespy’s, etc.
Tonight’s shop call has been pushed back an hour to 6:00 to allow everyone time to eat dinner prior to beginning work. It will also give our Marching Band a better load out situation so we are not all cluttering the hallway at the same time. We will end call at 9:00 so please plan to be picked up promptly.
Tomorrow’s shop call is from 1:00-6:00 to accommodate those participating in the Frisco Community Parade. Please plan to be picked up promptly.
Ladies, you MUST have a way to tie back your hair! Everyone needs to be in appropriate shop attire.
Chili’s at Eldorado is proud to support Wakeland High School Theatre!
On October 11th from 11:00AM-10:30PM come and let Chili’s do the cooking while they support Wakeland High School Theatre at the same time! With each flyer presented that day Chili’s will donate 20% of the event day sales!
The Wakeland High School Theatre Department Give Back Event is:
October 11, 2017
From 11 AM til 10:30 PM
Valid only at:
Chili’s of Eldorado & Tollway
11555 Dallas Parkway
Frisco, TX 75034
972-712-9922 – http://www.chilis.com
We look forward to seeing you at Chili’s!
Be sure to print and bring the attached flyer with you to the event!
Wakeland Theater Oct 11
As a reminder, the only way to access the documents found within the presentation is by logging in to your student Google account. This is to protect the integrity of our audition process. If you are unsure of how to log into your Google account your username is in HAC and the password is your full birthday. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello Wolverine Theatre!
We have an opportunity to make a difference in the Houston area! One of our former technical theatre students, Matt Barron, is taking his truck down this weekend and wants to be able to help those that need it in any way he can. He is hoping to fill his truck with those necessities that are of an immediate need. If you can help please send a donation item or two with your student either tomorrow or on Friday morning. Matt will pick it all up from us and distribute it to those he is able to assist over the weekend.
Immediate needs are:
- Contractor trash bags
- Work gloves
- Kitchen trash bags
- Tools to remove carpet
- Clorox wipes
- Packing tape
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Baby diapers and wipes
- Adult diapers
- Bottled Water
Many people can’t get out to obtain these items themselves, stores are sold out or the lines to check out are hours long. Anything we can do to help out will be greatly appreciated!
“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”
-Edward E. Hale