International Thespian Honor Society invitations have gone out to eligible students over the past two days. Your RSVP slip and your $30 Induction Fee are due on Monday, May 7th and checks should be made out to the Wakeland Theatre Booster Club. PLEASE NO CASH!!!!
If your check and RSVP card are not received by the end of the day on Monday, May 7th your membership will not be submitted this year. If you have any questions please find Mrs. Leffel.
If you are interested in becoming an officer for the 2018-19 school year, please complete the packet found at www.tinyurl.com/thespianofficerpacket.
Also, please fill out the Google form for your proposed service project (please see the description in the packet listed above.)www.tinyurl.com/officerproject
A huge congratulations are in order for Senior Nick Blanton! For the second year in a row his set designs for the UIL Theatrical Design Contest advanced to the state level, and this year he is coming home with a 4th Place medal in Division II Set Design. Theatrical Design Contest Chair Rachel Gomez let us know that there were approximately 95 initial entries in the Division II Set Design at the initial round, which were narrowed down to 17 entries for the state level of the contest.
This year’s Theatrical Design prompt tasked the student designers with creating sets, costumes, makeup & hair, or marketing designs that would work for a repertory production of both A Raisin in the Sun and Clybourne Park. Nick’s designs featured a fragmented set, and highlighted both the socio-economic and racial struggles of both productions.
Next year Nick will be pursuing a degree in set design at University of Oklahoma’s Helmerich School of Drama. The prestigious program accepts only 12 incoming freshman in technical theatre each year. We wish him the best and can’t wait to see where his designs take him in the future!
It’s time to enter your points for this school year! Whether you are an active member, a joining member or a future potential member you need to enter this year’s points. You will not be able to enter past points in future years.
This year we have a new points tracking sheet that calculates your total so that I don’t have to (math and I aren’t friends). If you are a current Junior or Senior with a pre-existing points sheet you will continue to use your original points sheet, which should be in your Google Drive account. If you are a current Sophomore or Freshman, or a Junior or Senior without a current points sheet you will use the new form. I have created an example for you that can be viewed here: Student_Example_2018
Instructions for Filling Out your ITS Form:
- Go to this link and MAKE A COPY of the form. Save your new copy as your first name_last initial_grad year. Example: Casey_S_2019
- If you already have a form, as stated above, follow the below steps to update your current form. Do NOT delete the verified line that was entered by Mrs. Leffel or Mrs. Howe for previous years.
- Fill in the top section with your name, address, email, etc. Leave Induction Year and the fields below that empty.
- Using the 2017-2018 WHS Points for Performance Activities and the Thespian Induction Points System enter your theatre activities and points to your best estimate.
- Those with a prior sheet you may put the top line as “Points from original sheet” and then enter the total number of points from last year in the “Points Received” section
- If you are unsure on the number of points you received for a specific action please see Mrs. Leffel or Mrs. Dalfonzo.
- See Notes below regarding points for some activities
- If you are struggling to understand the form itself please refer to this YouTube video tutorial.
- Share your completed form with both Mrs. Leffel AND Mrs. Dalfonzo at LeffelL@friscoisd.org and DalfonzJ@friscoisd.org
- All points will be verified by the directors. Some points values may change based on director discretion.
A Couple of Notes:
- If are currently inducted into ITS you can earn points for productions you have seen outside of school. Beginning this year you may earn a maximum of .25 points per full-length production. Remember that one point is the equivalent of 10 hours so you are getting 1 point for every four productions you see, assuming an average production length of 2.5 hours per show. Beginning next year a program will be required for all audience shows submitted.
- This sheet lists accurate points for WHS Theatre Performances this school year. Please use these points amounts. 2017-2018 WHS Points for Performance Activities
- If you are submitting points for work done outside of Wakeland Theatre, such as performing in a production for an outside company, you need to provide documentation of your involvement in the show. A performance program will be sufficient.
- You get .5 points for each Saturday or Friday night (non-regular rehearsal time) shop call you attended for the entire time. Otherwise you get one point per 10 hours you were at shop calls total. If you do not sign in at shop calls then you do not get points.
- You do NOT get points for rehearsals
- You do NOT get points for any class performances – public performances for an actual audience only.
All Thespian Points must be entered by Monday, April 16th. No changes or additions will be permitted after that time unless an event arises that you are asked to participate in such as Academic Awards, Wespy’s, etc.
Congratulations to the cast and crew of Amazing Grace!
Awards at Zone: All star crew – Nick Blanton Honorable mention: Leah Zalenski, Abby Pauly, Quinlan Franke
All star cast: Mikaela Baker
Awards at District: All star crew- Nick Blanton Honorable mention: Abby Pauly, Jake Morrin All star cast: Leah Zalenski
Awards at Bi District:
All star crew: Nick Blanton
Honorable Mention: Abby Pauly
All star cast: Leah Zalenski
Break legs to the company of Amazing Grace as they head to contest at Lone Star on March 8, 2018. If you can make it to Lone Star, the show begins at 2:30. Don’t be late. There is no late admission. We will have a public performance of the show at Wakeland on March 23 at 6pm.
This talented group is putting together an amazing performance!
UIL One Act Play rehearsal is underway. Mrs. Leffel is in need of 12-15 wooden chairs that can be painted for the show. Please let us know if you have a chair you can donate to the theatre department!